Sunday, October 16, 2016

Naturalist Perspectives Assignment: Identify Your Site Gamma

 On Sunday October 19th, at 2:17 pm it was around 67 degrees outside, so I decided to go on a nice walk and identify my site gamma because the weather permitted. On this walk I encountered quite a few macromolecules almost right outside my door step. At that moment I came to realize how everything really is made up of the compounds we speak spoke about in class technically. First of all, I walked out my door and instantly saw a girl waiting on the side of the road. Not only is she made of proteins and nucleic acids because, she is made of DNA, but the plants around her were too. Not only that, but there are also pumpkins on the door step which are full of protien, acids, and carbs.    





Although pumpkins are not high in fat, they still contain lipids. Upon further inspection, I came to realize that the tree right behind one of the pumpkins happened to have berries on it. Pardon the poor quality of the photo, I swear the berries are there.


These berries most likely contain these macromolecules as well. Berries might even have a higher lipid and protein count than the pumpkin, and not only have DNA of their own, but they are also attached to a tree which is a whole other organism with the same compounds forming it slightly differently.
On the ground below the tree there were rocks all over the dirt. At first I thought nothing of them. They are less exciting than the other living molecules, but I came to realize upon further research that even rocks have DNA, they just can't replicate it.
The last macromolecule rich organism I noticed was on the other side of the steps, but it was probably the best one I found. After observing the area to the right of the building and noticing the berries, trees, people, and rocks, I realized there was wheat on the other side, along with some other leaves and weeds and a bunch more rocks. The wheat excited me, because that is a clear indicator of carbohydrates such as starch. It also most likely contains DNA and lipids.

All in all, this perspective assignment made me come to the realization that everything living around me is made up of macromolecules weather I acknowledge it or not. This assignment really put me in touch with our universe and nature that we usually look past. Although I prefer the beautiful scene of a garden, the things right in front of me have a totally different and unique aspect of beauty to them.


2 comments:

  1. Good job noticing everything around you and relating the macromolecules and other course material to them. It's interesting looking at everyday things and realizing what makes them up, no one ever thinks of that. Honestly it's funny looking at trees, plants, dirt, rocks, etc... and analyzing them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how the pumpkin is part of your observation of macromolecules! So appropriately festive! That's a good idea, I might copy you for my site gamma because I haven't decided one yet. It's interesting how most of your sites appear to be in urban areas. I appreciate that you said the class is helping you get in touch with the universe and nature. I agree! By learning about macromolecules for example, it helps me appreciate nature by increasing my awareness of the objects in my world.

    - Josh Kuhn

    ReplyDelete