Monday, October 3, 2016

Naturalist Perspectives Assignment: Water in the Landscape

      On Friday September 30th, 2016 I went for a walk to the Charles River for the sunset, staying in  the area from around 5 to 7 o'clock. While sitting on the dock i felt a nice breeze, but it wasn't too cold or too hot out. When I touched the water I was pleasantly surprised at how the waters temperature felt. It was very similar to the temperature in the air, probably because the sun had not set yet and the sun had warmed it up all day. There was a lot of greenery and much near the river, although I was sitting on a cement brick of a dock, I was able to feel the surroundings out some what.
      I tested the pH of the water and the piece of paper became slightly green. I estimated the pH to be around 8 until I tested my tap water in my kitchen and it barley changed color and got a rating of 6 or 7 from me. This made me rethink the pH of the river water to be more of a 9 because I didn't realize how subtle the color change would be. Seeing that the pH was lower on the fresh water only made sense, but I was surprised at how close the colors were. After the confusion, I tested Brita filtered water from the sink to compare, and that paper practically stayed the same color, with the fewest hydrogen ions out of them all- as you could expect. I do not know if water temperature effects ph balance, but I thought that testing the different pH balances was a lot of fun, very informative and a good thing for me to learn how to do. Overall, my findings did not surprise me and I really enjoyed this lab assignment.

No comments:

Post a Comment