Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Naturalist Perspectives Challenge 1: Find a Flowering Plant and a Pollinator

Photo of my alpha transect and flowering plants
On my transect there are many flowers, due to the fact that it is a garden. Although I would love to choose the Zinnas as my flower, since there is an abundance of them and I know the name of them, I'd have to choose to observe the lavender (or lavender looking) flowers, because as I was sitting by the garden, I saw a few bees hopping back and forth between these flowers only. Although the bees might also be attracted to the Zinnas, I can use inductive reasoning to deduct that the lavender might be more tasty or pollen filled. Possibly the fact that the lavender looks like it is going to die soon might even persuade the bees to come and get them while they can, or the flowers could simply be dying due to the fact that the bees are taking all their pollen. My deductive reasoning on why the bees chose the lavender-like flowers can only go so far, because the patterns I based these inductive assumptions on are only momentary. The bees might also be attracted to the Zinnas, just not today for a multitude of possible reasons.

1 comment:

  1. This is a great location for your Site Alpha! In your later posts you mention being saddened by the flowers' decline; it may make you feel better to think of them as entering a dormant period rather than dying. I imagine that a good number of the plants in the garden are perennials, so their root systems do not die and they will pop up from the same spot next year. I believe that zinnias are annuals, however, so they will most likely need to be replanted. It can be fun to look for and collect seeds from the flowers that have gone by.

    ReplyDelete